Friday, June 05, 2009

Yard — a word worth a 1000 pictures (#1)

I love my yard.

In fact, I love my yard so much that I think it's worth a 1000 pictures. So, I've decided to photograph it daily and share it with you on this blog. If all goes well, this might result in the world's largest documentation of a yard!

What started all this? The installation of a compost bin yesterday.

In keeping with my It's Easy Being Green Challenge, I decided to start a compost pile to reduce the amount of "wet" garbage that goes to the curb every week. After installing it, I raked up some rotting leaves that had mixed in with a few piles of doggie-doo. Underneath the leaves were huge earthworms as thick as my baby finger and, unstretched, the length of my hand from wrist to the tip of my middle finger. I couldn't believe my eyes! All day today I couldn't stop thinking about those amazing creatures and why I didn't grab my camera. 

And then it hit me. Next time, I will grab my camera. In fact, I should grab my camera daily and seek out new life. Boldly go where I haven't been before.  

And why not? There are few things that make me happier than my yard. My back yard is wonderfully shaded with a thick maple tree. And, my front yard currently displays a blossoming crab apple tree, a little garden and potted flowers and herbs staggered up my front steps. It's not only home to me but home to a myriad of life from squirrels to skunks! Thankfully, right now there is only the sweet smell of tiny purple flowers that happily grow in the permashade at the back.

So, here goes. 1000 pictures start with 1.

Picture #1: The impressive, thick trunk of my beautiful Maple tree.

No comments: